New Mexico

Effective Date: July 1, 1990; amended 1997
State:
New Mexico
Court Type: Appellate
Implementing Authority: Rule and Policy
Status: Mandatory
Time Standards: Writ Applications:
(denial of petition to filing with Supreme Court clerk)            
100% within 30 days  

Court of Appeals:
(filing to resolution)            
50% within 180 days            
75% within 365 days            
95% within 540 days  

Appellate Judges:            
file an opinion in 50% of cases assigned to the judge within 90 days of submission            
file an opinion in 75% of cases assigned to the judge within 150 days of submission            
file an opinion in 95% of cases assigned to the judge within 300 days of submission
 

Effective Date: 1990
State:
New Mexico
Court Type: Trial
Case Type: Civil
Implementing Authority: Supreme Court Rule
Status: Mandatory
Time Standards: Pretrial Scheduling Order:
(filing of complaint to pretrial scheduling order)            
100% within 120 days  

Trial:
(filing of scheduling order to trial)            
100% within 18 months  

Appeals:
(filing to decision or disposition)            
100% within 10 months  

(date of submission to panel to decision or disposition)            
100% within 3 months
 

Effective Date: 1990
State:
New Mexico
Court Type: Trial
Case Type: Criminal
Implementing Authority: Supreme Court Rule
Status: Mandatory
Time Standards: Pretrial Scheduling Order:
(filing of complaint to pretrial scheduling order)            
100% within 120 days  

Trial:
(filing of scheduling order to trial)            
100% within 18 months  

Appeals:
(filing to decision or disposition)            
100% within 10 months  

(date of submission to panel to decision or disposition)            
100% within 3 months
 

Effective Date: 1990
State:
New Mexico
Court Type: Trial
Case Type: Domestic
Implementing Authority: Supreme Court Rule
Status: Mandatory
Time Standards: Pretrial Scheduling Order:
(filing of complaint to pretrial scheduling order)            
100% within 120 days  

Trial:
(filing of scheduling order to trial)            
100% within 18 months  

Appeals:
(filing to decision or disposition)            
100% within 10 months  

(date of submission to panel to decision or disposition)            
100% within 3 months
 

Effective Date: 1990
State:
New Mexico
Court Type: Trial
Case Type: Juvenile
Implementing Authority: Supreme Court Rule
Status: Mandatory
Time Standards: Pretrial Scheduling Order:
(filing of complaint to pretrial scheduling order)            
100% within 120 days  

Trial:
(filing of scheduling order to trial)            
100% within 18 months  

Appeals:
(filing to decision or disposition)            
100% within 10 months  

(date of submission to panel to decision or disposition)            
100% within 3 months
 

Effective Date: 1990
State:
New Mexico
Court Type: Trial
Case Type: Misc
Implementing Authority: Supreme Court Rule
Status: Mandatory
Time Standards:

Pretrial Scheduling Order:
(filing of complaint to pretrial scheduling order)            
100% within 120 days  

Trial:
(filing of scheduling order to trial)            
100% within 18 months  

Appeals:
(filing to decision or disposition)            
100% within 10 months  

(date of submission to panel to decision or disposition)            
100% within 3 months

 

Effective Date: 1990
State:
New Mexico
Court Type: Trial
Case Type: Probate
Implementing Authority: Supreme Court Rule
Status: Mandatory
Time Standards: Pretrial Scheduling Order:
(filing of complaint to pretrial scheduling order)            
100% within 120 days  

Trial:
(filing of scheduling order to trial)            
100% within 18 months  

Appeals:
(filing to decision or disposition)            
100% within 10 months  

(date of submission to panel to decision or disposition)            
100% within 3 months
 

Monitoring Information: New Mexico documents court performance relevant to time standards by producing computer-generated and manual reports with information on the median time for resolution, and the % of cases resolved.

Reports/summaries with time standards are received by the clerk of court and all judges, and are reviewed yearly.

Case processing time standards reports are available to the public through an open records request
Notes:

New Mexico did not respond to the fall 2002 update request or the fall 2007 update request; therefore, this information is current as of 1999.
 
In the case that a pretrial scheduling order is not filed, the court shall set the case for trial in a timely manner, but no later than 18 months.

The Court of Appeals, and individual judges understand, that no single fixed time standard is appropriate for each appeal. This is why the resolution goals only go up to 95 percent. The remaining 5 percent of cases are to be resolved as expeditiously as possible given the complexity of the issue, or any unusual circumstances.