As state and local courts across the country continue their efforts to combat racial prejudice, there are valuable lessons to be learned from colleagues’ challenges and successes in transitioning from words to actionable reform. Hear from Chief Justices and staff involved in the day-to-day facilitation of strategic plans. Join Communications and Implementation Working Group members of the National Center for State Courts Racial Justice Blueprint Initiative as we address these practical questions and more:
- What if my court is just now getting started – where do we begin?
- How do we identify action items and track progress?
- How do we maintain the momentum?
- In hindsight, what lessons have we learned from our efforts thus far?
Welcome and Introduction:
- Chief Justice Martha Walters (Oregon) Co-Moderator, NCSC Racial Justice Blueprint Initiative Communications and Implementation Working Group
- Tonnya Kohn, State Court Administrator (South Carolina); Co-Moderator, NCSC Racial Justice Blueprint Initiative Communications and Implementation Working Group
- Tina Vagenas, Director and Chief Counsel, NCSC Access to Justice Initiatives
Speakers and Members of the NCSC Racial Justice Blueprint Initiative Communications and Implementation Working Group:
- Ohio Supreme Court Chief Justice Maureen O’Connor
- Washington Supreme Court Chief Justice Steve Gonzalez
- Valerie Colas, Access to Justice Counsel for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, Oregon Office of the State Court Administrator
- Jessica Lewis Kelly, Special Assistant to the Administrative Director, New Jersey Judiciary Administrative Office of the Courts
For more information, contact Tina Vagenas.