Month: May 2023
Webinar: Peer Support in the New England States
May 3rd, 2023
The New England Regional Judicial Opioid Initiative (NERJOI) Regional Resources Committee, chaired by the Honorable Kathleen Sandman, First Justice of the Probate and Family Court in Massachusetts, and the Honorable Susan Ashley, Deputy Administrative Judge of the Circuit Court in New Hampshire, invite you to attend “Peer Support in the New England States.”
The goal of this webinar is to raise awareness and better understand the capabilities and benefits of peer support services in the justice system.
The webinar will feature information on outcomes from the panelists, successful partnerships, and funding and there will be time at the end for questions.
- John Burns, Director, SOS Recovery Community Organization, New Hampshire
- Justin Mehl, Opioid Services Coordinator, Connecticut
- Danielle O’Brien, Recovery Support Centers Coordinator, Massachusetts
- Katie O’Leary, Director of Recovery, North Suffolk Community Services, Massachusetts
- A panel of Peer Support Specialists from the six New England states
National College of Probate Judges (NCPJ) Spring Conference
May 9th, 2023
The National College of Probate Judges will host its Spring conference from May 9 to May 12, in Tucson Arizona at the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort.
For more information, visit NCPJ’s website or contact Katie Luth.View details
Webinar: Active Judging in Eviction Court
May 17th, 2023
Eviction dockets are often fast-paced and high-volume, which can create challenges for the overwhelming numbers of litigants appearing without counsel and struggling to understand the legal process and their options.
Judges from three different jurisdictions will describe how they have adopted principles of active judging to increase understanding, protect due process, and expand access to resources for litigants in eviction court.
- Samira Nazem, National Center for State Courts
- Hon. Pamela Washington, Anchorage District Court
- Hon. Barbara Flores, Circuit Court of Cook County
- Hon. Kimberly Bacon, Lawrence Township Small Claims Court
Webinar: Family-Centered Fridays - Improving Access to Justice with Plain Language
May 19th, 2023
In the third installment of the Family-Centered Fridays Series, Senior Court Management Consultant Lonni Summers will lead a discussion on NCSC’s Plain Language Glossary, a tool that presents plain language alternatives to legal terms that are not understandable to most people.
In this session, Summers will explain the philosophy behind the Glossary and highlight how this tool can assist courts working to promote access to justice for families.
Attendees will have a hands-on opportunity to use the glossary, suggest new terms and share real-world examples.
- Lonni Summers, Senior Court Management Consultant, National Center for State Courts
For more information, email Family-Centered Justice.View details
National Consortium on Racial and Ethnic Fairness in the Courts (NCREFC) Annual Conference
May 21st, 2023
The National Consortium on Racial and Ethnic Fairness in the Courts (NCREFC) will host its annual conference May 21-24, in Seattle, Washington.
The program will focus on ongoing initiatives, current activities and reforms taking place across the country addressing cultural competence, equity, and related topics.
For more information, visit NCREFC’s website or contact Nikiesha Cosby.View details
Webinar: Guardianships - They Don’t Have to Last Forever
May 24th, 2023
Guardianships don’t have to last forever.
Hear from Nicolas Clouse who will discuss his journey to restoration of rights after guardianship. Mr. Clouse will be joined by his attorney Justin Schrock, Harris County (Texas) Judge Jerry Simoneaux and Sam Crane, legal director at the Quality Trust for Individuals with Disabilities, for a discussion about the important roles judges and attorneys play in guardianship terminations and restoration of rights.
- Angela Cerilli Sager, Senior Court Management Consultant, National Center for State Courts
- Nicholas Clouse, Lived expert formerly under guardianship
- Judge Jerry Simoneaux , Jr., Probate Court No. 1, Harris County, Texas
- Justin Schrock, Senior Attorney, Indiana Disability Rights
- Sam Crane, Legal Director, Quality Trust for Individuals with Disabilities, Washington, D.C.
For more information, email Angela Sager.View details