Month: March 2024
March 13th, 2024
Join us for a follow-up conversation to our webinar titled Ensuring Effective Communication for People with Disabilities (aired January 2023).
Due to the overwhelming interest in this important topic, we received more questions than we could answer during the one-hour webinar. This follow-up conversation is intended to tackle those unanswered questions and provide some “how to” tools and examples you can start to implement now.
Don't miss this opportunity to learn more about disability communication.
- Diane Robinson, Principal Court Research Associate, National Center for State Courts
- Angela Cerilli Sager | Senior Court Management Consultant, National Center for State Courts
- Elizabeth Moran, Executive Director, The Arc of Colorado
- Megan Rusciano, Staff Attorney, Center for Public Representation
Please watch the January 31 webinar before joining us for this conversation.
For more information, contact Angela Sager.
If you require an interpreter or have other accessibility requests, contact Natalie Downard.View details
Webinar: Why Won’t They Come? Findings from a Study of Nonresponse and Failure to Appear Rates in Harris County, Texas
March 21st, 2024
Hosted by the NCSC Center for Jury Studies, this webinar sheds light on the perplexing issue of juror nonresponse and failure to appear in Texas's most populous county.
Partnering with the NCSC Center for Jury Studies and RTI International, the Harris County District Clerk embarked on a groundbreaking study to understand why jurors fail to respond to summonses or appear in court.
Through surveys and interviews, they uncovered a multitude of challenges faced by jurors, from not receiving summonses on time to encountering barriers to serving without knowing how to request accommodations.
In this webinar, panelists will delve into the study's compelling findings and offer practical recommendations to address the high nonresponse and failure to appear rates.
Gain valuable insights into the complexities of jury service and discover actionable strategies to enhance juror participation and engagement.
Don't miss this opportunity to learn from the experts and contribute to improving the jury system.
Register now for "Why Won't They Come?" and be part of the conversation shaping the future of jury service.
- Marilyn Burgess, District Clerk, Harris County, Texas
- Paula Hannaford-Agor, NCSC Center for Jury Studies
- Venita Embry, RTI International
For more information, contact Paula Hannaford.View details
March 27th, 2024
State courts will increasingly see themselves at the center of insurance disputes as local communities face more catastrophic natural disasters as seen in recent years. This webinar helps courts grasp the changes and new practices emerging from the insurance industry. It will cover:
- Developing state regulatory practices that affect pricing and coverage
- The potential for increased lawsuits over new policy terms, loss limitations, subrogation, and other matters
- Expert insights into risk management, novel insurance-related suits, and predictive modeling
Judges, court staff, lawyers, and students dealing with insurance-related cases who want to learn how to navigate the complex, changing landscape of insurance litigation and regulation should attend.
- Chief Justice Paul Suttell, Rhode Island
- Robert Hartwig, Director, Risk, and Uncertainty Management Center, Darla Moore School of Business, University of South Carolina
- Dave Jones, Former Insurance Commissioner of California and now Director, Climate Risk Initiative at UC Berkeley’s Center for Law, Energy and the Environment (CLEE)
For more information, email Caroline BrounView details